- The Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) (seasonal)
- Whale watching (seasonal)
- Thermal rivers & hot springs
- Blue lagoon
- Glacier treks & Volcanoes
- Golden Circle tour including Geysir & Thingvellir National Park
This programme can be applied to the following subjects:
- Earth sciences
- Astronomy & Physics
Iceland has really opened up over the past decade with regards to group tourism, and its not hard to see why! Being keen astrophotographers and nature lovers here, we love aurora chasing and whale watching before a relaxing evening dip at the blue lagoon or the thermal river at Reykjadalur!
We know Iceland pretty well, and like to think we have perfected the 'best of' package over the past few years. So why not give us a try so we can prove it??
This programme is great combined with an East Coast USA itinerary (if coming from Europe), or with a UK or European itinerary (if coming from North America).
Fantastic optional add-ons included Greenland & its Inuit culture and our agri-tourism extension to the Faroe Islands.
Sample Best Of Iceland Itinerary
Day 1: Flight to Reykjavik
Arrive early afternoon, head to accommodation and settle in. Take a familiarisation stroll around town, visit the iconic cathedral. Traditional lamb stew dinner followed by aurora hunting (autumn-winter-spring)
Day 2: Golden Circle Tour
Golden Circle Tour. Take a tour around some of Iceland's most beautiful scenery - the Thingvellir National Park, the continental bridge between the tectonic meeting place of the North American and the Eurasian plates, the geothermal power station, Geysir - with its bubbling mud pools and spectacular...well...geysir (!), the magnificent Gulfoss waterfall, see the miniature Icelandic horses, the moss covered lava feilds, the beautiful crystal clear lakes...need we go on?! Attempt Aurora hunting if not seen night before.
Day 3: Whale watching
After breakfast take the whale watching tour to seek out humpback whales, minke whales, white beaked dolphins and harbour porpoises. If you're lucky, you might even catch a glimpse of orca, pilot whales, basking sharks, and who knows what else!
Take a relaxing afternoon trip to the Blue Lagoon for a dip in the hot water and a mud mask!
Day 4: South Coast Tour
Today is full of traditional villages, waterfalls, basalt columns (like the Giant's Causeway) & maybe a glacier hike! Departure late night tonight or take in a celebratory meal on the last night and departure in the morning.
Day 5: Homeward (or onward) bound
Arrival home OR departure day
As standard in our quotes we include the following for this programme (based on our experience this just works best):
- Half Board Accommodation
- Activities as mentioned above
- All excursions
- Private transfers in destination
- Group travel Insurance
- Assistance of local in-destination partners on the ground
- 24 hrs emergency contact locally & in the UK
- Parents evening representation
- Glo-Ed Basic Travel Pack: Travel t shirts, lanyards, ID cards, wristbands
Whats not included
As standard in our quotes the following are not included but most can be added for a supplement:
- Flights (unless otherwise stated - please add to your quote form)
- Visas - please see your country's embassy or home office website
- Inoculations - as above
- Airport transfers in your country of origin
- Glo-Ed Travel Pack Premium: Everything in Basic, plus team travel hoodies, water purification/filtration bottle, Glo-Ed trucker hat, day pack, micro-fiber towel, sweatband, sanitizer, torch, sunscreen.
- Glo-Ed Luggage Bonanza: Canvas backpack, canvas holdall, bumbag/fannypack, rip wallet