- Learn English with an emphasis on wildlife, conservation & environmental vocabulary & phrases
- Enjoy a behind the scenes safari experience
- Engage in conservation & community activities
- Fixed departure dates
- Small groups ok
- International mix of students (not guaranteed though)
- Optional Cape Town add on
This programme can be applied to the following subjects:
- English Language - ESL - EFL
- Animal Management
- Sustainable Development
Port Elizabeth has a long history of immigration & multi-culturalism, being a key port during the colonial times. Today we would like to share in the spirit by launching our pilot English + Wildlife experience. This course takes place at top rated Shamwari private game reserve located just an hours drive by coach from Port Elizabeth airport in the direction of Grahamstown.
The aim of this experience is to help students who wish to go into wildlife based studies or careers learn specific vocabulary around the environment, wildlife and conservation.
Day 1: Getting there
On arrival in South Africa it is a full day of getting through the airport and travelling to the reserve. On arrival the group settles into their accommodation and receives and orientation and health and safety briefing and then relax.
Days 2 – 5: Conservation Experience
The day starts early with a continental breakfast at the lodge. Students will then gather their books for the morning's briefing.
Depending on the weather there may be a morning game drive.
Mid-morning, the students will return for their English lesson based around things they have seen & learnt.
After lunch will usually be a conservation or community based activity. Students will get the chance to learn about anti-poaching principles, game management & conservation efforts on the reserve. They may partake in telemetry tracking, alien plant species removal, and tracks & signs identification.
After dinner a chance to practice those English skills with friends around the campfire, before retiring to bed for an early start tomorrow!
Day 6: Full day in Port Elizabeth
Today the students will head into Port Elizabeth for a spot of shopping, and weather dependent maybe also a whale & dolphin watching cruise, a river adventure or a visit to the Addo National Park.
Day 7: Change-over day!
Today students will sadly say goodbye, or if they are lucky enough, stay for another week!
As standard in our quotes we include the following for this programme (based on our experience this just works best):
- Full Board Accommodation (lodge)
- Activities as mentioned above
- All excursions
- Transfers in-destination
- Group travel Insurance
- Assistance of local in-destination partners on the ground
- 24 hrs emergency contact locally & in the UK
- Parents evening representation
- Glo-Ed Basic Travel Pack: Travel t shirts, lanyards, ID cards, wristbands
Whats not included
As standard in our quotes the following are not included but most can be added for a supplement:
- Flights (unless otherwise stated - please add to your quote form)
- Visas - please see your country's embassy or home office website
- Inoculations - as above
- Airport transfers in your country of origin
- Glo-Ed Travel Pack Premium: Everything in Basic, plus team travel hoodies, water purification/filtration bottle, Glo-Ed trucker hat, day pack, micro-fiber towel, sweatband, sanitizer, torch, sunscreen.
- Glo-Ed Luggage Bonanza: Canvas backpack, canvas holdall, bumbag/fannypack, rip wallet