Himalayan Culture & Community Experience, Nepal
- Assist in some of the poorest communities in Nepal
- Stay in authentic home-stay farms with our Operations Team in Nepal
- Make lifelong friends
- Make unforgettable memories trekking to Australian Camp on the Annapurna circuit
- Experience the buzz and excitement of Kathmandu, followed by the tranquility of the villages around Pokhara
THIS PROGRAMME CAN BE APPLIED TO THE FOLLOWING SUBJECTS:
- Service Learning
- Global Citizenship
- Art & Philosophy
- Sustainable Development
- Agricultural studies
- Religious Studies
Surely Nepal is on most people’s bucket lists right? There is just so much going on! From the buzz of Kathmandu, to the mysterious mix of Oriental & Indian cultures, to the absolutely breathtakingly spectacular Himalaya mountains – there something for everyone.
There will be a general level of fitness required for this programme, you don’t need to be Usain Bolt, however on a scale of 1 – 10 fitness, 10 being the highest, lets call this a 6. This sample itinerary is pretty busy, but its designed to give a blast of Nepal in a short space of time. The programme can be extended for longer projects.
FLAVOURS OF NEPAL SAMPLE ITINERARY (CAN BE EXTENDED FOR LONGER PROJECTS)
Day 1: Getting there
On arrival in Kathmandu after a long connecting flight you will be picked up and transferred through to the hotel. On arrival the group settles into their accommodation and receives an orientation and health and safety briefing, before heading over to the boudhanath to ‘do the rounds’ and have dinner with a view!
Day 2: On the road to the communities
The day starts early to try and beat the traffic out of town. We head over the hills to the first of our community homestay projects at the Dalit village. En route lunch is provided. Once at the village, the students will be welcomed with a traditional village welcome, before being shown to their very basic rooms in the homes of some of the friendliest people in Nepal. In the afternoon, the students will assist with farming activities in the community and get to know the locals, before enjoying a simple meal of dhal bat (the local cuisine)
Day 3: Next stop Himalayan foothills
The day will begin with a bucket shower in the rainforest overlooking some spectacular scenery. Time to say your goodbyes and head on the road to the next homestay village in the foothills of the Himalayas. This homestay is near the Annapurna range, and has a very variable climate. Here they have been hosting students for many years, and one of the elders is a well respected retired Gurkha. Time for another afternoon project (needs dependent on time of year, amongst other factors) and a night to settle in briefly before the next days early starting hike to Australian Camp.
Day 4: The hike
Today the group will hike to Australian Camp. The extended hike is about half a day, however a shorter 1 hr hike can be arranged for those less able or willing. Once at the Camp, the students will get some free time for reflection the past 2 days experiences under one of the most stunning backdrops we’ve ever witnessed.
Day 5: Spectacular Sunrise!
Another early start to take in the spectacular sunrise over the Annapurna’s and a period of reflection. A short hike down to the local town, where jeeps will be waiting to take you to Pokhara for a spot of mountain biking and some well earned R&R!
Day 6: Chill out in Pokhara
A relaxed breakfast by the lake in Pokhara and a chance to get in some shopping at some of the street stalls. Early afternoon departure back to Kathmandu for the final night. Special cultural dinner & dancing show and back to the hotel ready for travel day.
Day 7: Mt Everest & Home
All packed and ready to go there is one last must see. We head to the airport for a special scenic flight around Mt Everest, before taking our evening flight back home.
Day 8: Arrival home
As standard in our quotes we include the following (based on our experience this just works best):
- Full Board Accommodation (tented camp or lodge)
- Activities as mentioned above
- All excursions
- Transfers in-destination
- Group travel Insurance
- Assistance of local in-destination partners on the ground
- 24 hrs emergency contact locally & in the UK
- Parents evening representation
- Glo-Ed Basic Travel Pack: Travel t shirts, lanyards, ID cards, wristbands
WHATS NOT INCLUDED
As standard in our quotes the following are not included but most can be added for a supplement:
- Flights (unless otherwise stated - please add to your quote form)
- Visas - please see your country's embassy or home office website
- Inoculations - as above
- Airport transfers in your country of origin
- Glo-Ed Travel Pack Premium: Everything in Basic, plus team travel hoodies, water purification/filtration bottle, Glo-Ed trucker hat, day pack, micro-fiber towel, sweatband, sanitizer, torch, sunscreen.
- Glo-Ed Luggage Bonanza: Canvas backpack, canvas holdall, bumbag/fannypack, rip wallet